Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Day 42: 6weeks and finally some energy!

Day 42:

Sorry, totally skipping days here and there. This past weekend was my husband and I's 6 year anniversary. We spent the day out and about, and then went to San Francisco for a giants game. Had amazing seats right next to home plate! We originally wanted to spend the weekend in Carmel, Ca, but we didn't want to book anything weeks ago incase I wasn't feeling up to it. By the time we knew I could handle the trip nothing was available : ( Oh, well maybe in the fall we will spend a weekend on the coast!

Well, at this point in the surgery most things are about the same. It seems like this is the point where things will gradually get easier, and better. My jaw muscles are slowly relaxing allowing me to open just a tiny bit more. Still not enough to make eating like it was before surgery. I still have to cut up food into small bites to make it manageable to fit in my mouth. I am a little terrible at doing the jaw exercises the Surgeon told me to do. I need to get better at doing it 6 times a day, not 3 times a day. Slacker over here!

Numbness seems to be getting a little better, I am starting to get a little bit of feeling starting on the outsides of the chin and a little on my lip. The feeling seems to be creeping it's way toward the center between my chin and lip, or at least I am hoping that is what is happening. : )

My Jaw only really aches a little after the exercises, and after a really long day. The most annoying thing is my bottom teeth are hurting again. It feels like the Orthodontist adjusted my braces and my teeth are moving, which they probably are moving and not in a good way. Luckily this next Thursday I get to go to my Orthodontist and he is taking off the surgical hooks, and most likely putting on all new clear braces. Basically starting all over with a fresh set! : ) What no more yellow braces? Excited to get rid of the hooks. My bottom lip is so torn up.

Singing isn't difficult anymore, well at least the notes below high C. Anything higher than that it is hard to open my mouth to really open the back of my throat to not strain. The one thing I notice that makes me want to immediately stop stinging is the vibrations that hit my teeth when I sing loud, because I can't open my mouth. Oh man is it terrible! It feels like my teeth are going to fall out or something. It is the weirdest feeling.

Energy is starting to come back. I don't feel as tired any more, or I should say my tiredness comes in waves. I no longer feel exhausted 24/7. So that is amazing, and great since I have 3 glee clubs starting next week, where the kids sing and dance. I was worried I would be dead, and wouldn't be up to teaching the choreography. So excited to be active again!! I am at the 6 weeks marker, which if my memory serves me correctly I CAN FINALLY DO STUFF! Well, as long as it is things that won't hit me in the face, or anything to rough! : )

I might try to work out tomorrow! I say "try" because I have gotten a little lazy over the past 6 weeks of taking it easy : ) Who wants to do anything, when you can sit around and read a book?


I should say at this point the only thing I really don't like is when I put my lips together I still feel like they don't touch naturally, which causes weird lines across my chin. However, I have noticed in the past 3 weeks the lines are starting to change and hopefully soon will fade as everything heals.

6 weeks post-op





That is how far I can open with bands...I can open farther w/out bands.

3 comments:

  1. You look really pretty! When do you get the bands off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Camilla! I actually just got them off TODAY! Well, I should say that I got them off part time. I can stop wearing them during the day and I am supposed to put them on at night after dinner. : ) They even re-did my top braces today. I can't believe how stained they were. My teeth look so white, and bare with just the clear braces and no surgical hooks! : )

      Delete
  2. I am starting to feel more comfortable with the changes. It's strange because some days I feel like I look almost the same as before and then I see pictures of me that other people have taken and I am in shock looking at myself. My chin looks so different as does my profile, and shape of my lower face. Well, even my nose seems different. Today my face looks crooked due to swelling... So I guess my feelings vary daily! : ) Overall I am happy though. I bit into a piece of soft chicken the other day and my teeth actually cut through it. That felt amazing! I can't wait to take a bite out of a burger!

    ReplyDelete