Thursday, September 5, 2013

Day 51: Ortho appt & bands are gone during day!

Day 51:

Well, I am officially terrible at updating this blog. Life has become so hectic and insane that  I don't have time to sit down and update how I am doing, let alone think about how I am doing.

BEST news as of late is that I just got home from seeing my orthodontist and he went ahead and changed my braces on the top, took off all the surgical hooks, and said I can stop wearing the bands during the day. So night only! Boy is that going to make life so much easier. Eating has been such a pain due to the bands. If we are out I have to go to the bathroom to take the bands off, and then after eating go to the bathroom to brush my teeth and put the bands back on... bleh. I am so happy to wear them only at night. No complaining about that from this girl! : ) It's crazy how those little hooks really covered my teeth. I feel like I look different without the hooks. My teeth show more, and seem so white again!!

I am definitely a little more swollen today. I think it's primarily from keeping my jaw open for 45 minutes. It was getting a little sore while all the changes were being made. I didn't care though. I was so happy to see those stupid hooks go!

I feel like things are already starting to really get back to normal. I am back to work 100%. Tonight starts the show choirs I teach. So I will be moving and dancing, carefully for the next few weeks. Back to normal braces, and eating most things I ate prior to surgery, though I wouldn't say I am eating like I did prior. I mean like taking bites, and things. I can't fit large pieces of anything in my mouth, but I have a system that seems to be working for eating : ) 

Some feeling is beginning to come back to my bottom lip and chin slowly. It is no longer completely numb, but it still feels extremely strange, and sometimes I don't catch warm stray food on it, or warm liquids running down it. 

My jaw is starting to open a little wider, I am still terrible at doing the jaw exercises, but hey I am working it all day with teaching voice and piano 7-8 hours a day. When I think about it or have time I do the jaw exercises, which is usually at stop lights. People probably think I am insane prying my jaw open. haha Oh, well. 

All in all things are going great! Hope everyone is doing amazing!



Say what, no more bands during the day???



                                      








2 comments:

  1. wow from your photos, it doesn't even look like you have braces! so jealous! I also got my surgical hooks off too and it's amazing. I'm still wearing the bands though and I agree, it's such a pain! Sometimes I forget to take them out when I'm eating and it's not pretty...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We will see how long I can keep them looking white, and clear. I was thinking about quitting coffee or tea, but let's be honest that is not going to happen. How are you feeling? Do you feel you can open your mouth pretty wide at this point? I feel like I have a ways to go. Some days are better than others.

      Delete