Thursday, August 8, 2013

Day 23: Whoops skipped a few.

Day 23:

Not sure why I skipped a few days of blogging. I have had time to do it, there just really has not been anything exciting to report the past few days.

Swelling: It seems to be worse when I wake up and goes down as the day goes on, which I would imagine is probably pretty normal. I am sleeping on my side now, I called a few days ago to ask when I could do that and the RN said "Oh, you can do that now"... well thanks for letting me know.*Sarcasm*

Numbness: I still can't feel my chin and above, but I think I am getting a little feeling back in my lip and the sides of my chin area below my lips. I say think, because that whole area just feels strange to me. When I touch my lip I feel a little, but it doesn't feel normal.

Drinking from a straw: I was told I can start doing that, so I tried. I can't do it. I just can't figure out how that is supposed to work without getting whatever I am drinking all over the place. It feels so un-natural. I have forgotten how to drink from a straw. Nothing feels right. Such a strange feeling. Hopefully one day I will get the hang of that again. I miss straws right now. I should probably try again, it has been a week since I last tried. I just gave up hope on them I guess.

Energy: I feel like I had more energy last week than this week. I don't know what that means as far as recovery. Maybe the bones are starting to heal more so they are sucking the life from me? Or maybe I have just become lazy? Who knows at this point.

One thing that is bothering me is that I had expected my jaw to open farther than it currently does. My surgeon at my unwiring appointment did not tell me to do jaw exercises or anything. Unfortunately, my next appointment was moved back due to him being on vacation to a week from this Monday. I guess I should call the RN or him and ask if there is something I can or should be doing. Not being able to open very wide makes it difficult to get food in. I open and most of it falls off the fork or spoon as it hits my teeth. So I have to smash the food down to make it fit.

This whole recovery process is strange to me. After reading so many blogs its crazy how so many people get this surgery and the recovery timeline is so different. Some are wired shut, while others are banded. Some can start eating soft foods immediately, while others obviously can not due to being wired shut. Some are chewing at 2 weeks post op, others are chewing 5 weeks or more after post op. Some start doing jaw exercises immediately while others wait 6 weeks post op or longer. It's just insane that the process after surgery is so different. I know with this surgery there are no two surgeries that are the same due to each person being different, but you would think most surgeons would have a common recovery method.






No comments:

Post a Comment