Sunday, August 11, 2013

Day 26: Swelling and clicking, and aches, oh my!

Day 26:

While I have come a long way in 26 days (it will be 4 weeks post surgery on Tuesday), I also feel like I have a long way to go. I have been experiencing this clicking sound in my ears when I swallow, which after reading on the internet that seems to be "normal" for many people and it is just a little fluid in the ears. Which doesn't seem to be anything to be alarmed about and has nothing to do directly with the surgery. So thats reassuring, however I plan on talking to my surgeon when I see him next week. It is annoying.

 The swelling in my cheeks is getting annoying, it hasn't went down since last week. I feel like swelling is at a complete stand still. I was hoping it would be almost gone since my swelling really didn't get that bad compared to most. My lower teeth have been super achy today, similar to how they felt when I was wired shut. It feels as though my braces were adjusted and things are shifting, but the ortho has not adjusted anything.  : (

I can only open my mouth slightly wider than my index finger. I wish I could open it just a little bit wider. Hopefully soon. I start work a week from tomorrow, so I am thinking once I start teaching again and really working my jaw it will start loosening up after a few days. I am planning on it being terribly achy for the first week. I am prepared for the worst, but hoping for the best.

Chewing is getting easier, probably because I am better about not trying to over due it. Sticking to softer foods, though my paper Kaiser gave me says after 2 weeks being unwired I can gradually increase the consistency of my diet to include items such as chicken, tender red meat, salads, and fresh fruits. Though it does mention I will most likely need to cut up the food into small pieces.

My chin and lip have been experiencing some crazy feelings. One minute my lip feels like it is burning, and then my chin gets a sharp pain almost like someone poked a needle into it. Needless to say it is distracting and annoying.

Sleeping is getting better. I feel like every night I wake up less and less due to being afraid of crushing my jaw. I am also afraid I am grinding my teeth in the middle of the night. I wake up to a little tension in the jaw, so something else I want to address with my surgeon. I am sure I can't clench with to much force at the moment due to the weak muscles but you never know. I would rather not have to re-do this surgery... ever again.

Sorry about the mess. Laundry day. Cleaning the sheets, and duvet cover... 

I really like this side of my face, more than the other side. 





No comments:

Post a Comment