Thursday, July 25, 2013

Day 9: Home alone + top 10 things I am glad I purchased before surgery

I survived being home alone for 7 hours. My husband worked a half day today, because I have a phone appointment in an hour or so and I decided today I wanted to be by myself. It actually was nice. I didn't have to try to communicate with anyone. I got up and did a little laundry today, and texted with a friend who lives in So Cal most of the day. I find I feel better mornings and afternoons, and worse at night. That seems to be the trend the last few days. I guess I get tired, and my jaw gets achy from trying to talk? Who knows.

I am about the same as far as swelling, and numbness. Nothing to exciting to report. I have pretty much figured out how to drink without spilling every time. Not always a slob now. So I was a little bored so I wrote my blog early : ) I will tell you all about the phone appt. with the nurse tomorrow. Pretty sure this appointment was supposed to be last week, but we found out when my husband called a few days after surgery with questions for the the RN for the department that she was on vacation the week of my surgery. So he ended up talking with my surgeon. Since I have nothing else to talk about here is some info...


Top 10  things I am glad I purchased before surgery. In no particular order:

1. Breathe right strips: They have been my hero the past week and a half. My nose gets super clogged by night and nothing help except breathe right strips. I had never used them previous to surgery. I am so thankful I read someones blog who mentioned them. THEY ARE TRULY AMAZING. If you are having surgery definitely buy a box!

2. Sili squeeze with eeze: They are little, only 6 ounces, but the rubber nipple is amazingly gentle and you can get it right up to your teeth. I use mine for water. It was really great especially the first week when I was super swollen.

3. Cuppow lid for a mason jar: This has been amazing. I have a friend who had double jaw surgery and she complained that her sippy cups and other cups she had that were plastic started holding the taste of foods. So everything started tasting gross. So she had to buy more sippy cups. This lid turns a ball jar into a sippy cup. Glass will not hold flavors. Plus I can use it after the surgery as a cute commuter cup with a straw : )  I bought mine on amazon. 

http://cuppow.myshopify.com

4. Humidifier: I put it right next to my bed, kinda hung around our room for the first few days. I never had a nose bleed...not sure if that was the reason, but I am sure it didn't hurt.

5. Air purifier: If you have allergies like I do. I would definitely purchase one. We had been talking about purchasing one for years. My allergies are out of control and they get really bad in our bedroom. I think it's because the dogs sleep in there or something? Maybe I don't clean that room good enough. I haven't sneezed (thank God), and I hope I don't for weeks!!  

6. Boogie wipes: Little saline wipes. They are so gentle and soft on your nose. I am almost out of one package.

7. Little rags: My husband bought some car rags at walgreens. Those little white ones. They have worked amazing. Just something to catch water and smoothies or whatever from running down your chin. : ) 

8. White board: If you are getting wired shut. Def buy one. 

9. A good blender:  We bought a vitamix for ourselves last year and that thing blends anything and everything. Seeds gone. Chunks gone. Doesn't need to be a vita-mix, but I would make sure you have something that will blend stuff down. 

10. Bed wedge: I was on the fence about purchasing thinking I could just use pillows. I decided $40 to raise me and hopefully get a decent nights sleep for a few weeks. Don't get me wrong I also use pillows : ) The bed wedge gives more support for sure! 

I bought more than that, but those are the things I use on a daily basis + the usual baby toothbrush and mouth wash sans alcohol. 




Day 9 Photos
((p.s. sorry I wear a breath right strip in all my pictures. I LOVE THEM!))

      BEFORE SURGERY PROFILE:                                           9 DAYS POST OP:












Pretty excited I could do a zoolander face once again. 





No comments:

Post a Comment