Tuesday, July 30, 2013

2 WEEKS Post-op!

Well, I survived 13 days of being wired shut, and one day unwired! I feel good today. A little tired, but like the Doctor told me it is to be expected. My body is trying to heal itself. It comes in waves, one minute I feel pretty great like I can take on the world, and two hours later I am ready to sit and not move.

I ate oatmeal for breakfast, amazing! I mean seriously real food is so great. Having my tongue finally break free from the prison behind my teeth is a phenomenal feeling. I got icing from a cupcake I ate last night on my finger and being able to lick it off absolutely delightful. It's the little things that make me happy.

I decided to get out of the house by myself today, as the Doctor said now that I am unwired and off codeine that I can drive. So I took a little adventure to Peet's coffee, and Trader Joe's. I am a regular at both and most the workers know me. As soon as I walked in to Peet's the manager immediately said, huh something is different, did you change your hair? As soon I spoke I am pretty sure everyone knew whatever was different had to do with my mouth. While I can talk pretty good, it is very forced and some things come out better than others. At Trader Joe's the girl who checked me out knew I was having surgery and couldn't get over how great I looked. She said while the swelling is apparent, that she could see the change in my jaw line and couldn't stop talking about the change. Turns out while it is nice feeling like I don't need to explain my weird tight jaw voice,  I don't know how to respond to how I look different. I just said "yep, it is pretty crazy".

One thing I am noticing is that my swelling is pretty much at a stand still. I wake up more puffy, and by evening the swelling has gone down just a little. Other than that nothing new to report. I will give you all exact details.

I did try singing again today and recorded myself just so I can look back and see how far I have come. It was pretty funny. It is hard hitting those high notes without dropping your jaw. I didn't mention it in yesterday's post, but my husband put on the Les Miserables soundtrack on the way home and I sang my heart out. He said my voice even though it was tired, and word pronunciation was interesting sounded even more amazing. My tone has changed just a little. It is not so bright and forward sounding. Most likely, because I have more space behind my nose causing a more open sound.  In a few weeks I will dedicate an entire post to singing, and how the surgery has affected my voice.







No comments:

Post a Comment